If you’d like to check out a demo of DefectDojo before installing it, you can check out on our Heroku demo site.
You can log in as an administrator like so:
- admin / defectdojo@demo#appsec
You can also log in as a product owner or non-staff user:
- product_manager / defectdojo@demo#product
Docker Compose Install¶
- Go to https://github.com/DefectDojo/django-DefectDojo
- Select the appropriate branch you’re working on
- Under “Installation Options” click “Docker”
- Follow the instructions
Installation - Setup.bash is temporarily depricated. It is recommended you use the docker-compose install
Change into the newly created
$ cd django-DefectDojo/
There is a script in the main folder called
setup.bash that will allow you to interactively install DefectDojo on any Linux based systems. We do not recommend running DefectDojo as root, but you may do so if you choose.
You will need: * MySQL * pip
Recommended * virtualenv
- If you haven’t already, run
mysql_secure_installto set a password for your root MySQL user.
- Create a MySQL user with CREATE privileges, or use root.
Run the ``setup.bash`` script This script will:
- Install all the operating system packages needed
- Prompt for database connection information and create the necessary table
- Install all python packages needed
syncdbdepending on Django version installed.
- Provide you with the commands needed to complete the installation
Run the script:
During the execution you will be prompted for a few items:
MySQL user (should already exist):
Enter the user you created or root if you used
Password for user:
Enter the password for the MySQL user you selected.
Database name (should NOT exist):
Select a name for the DefectDojo database.
All the packages
It may take some time for all the OS and python packages to be installed. As of this writing the packages for this OS are:
python packages are listed in
After all the components have been installed, the makemigrations process will prompt you to create a
You have installed Django's auth system, and don't have any superusers defined. Would you like to create one now? (yes/no):
Answer yes and follow the prompts, this will be the user you will use to login to DefectDojo.
- (OPTIONAL) If you haven’t already, run mysql_secure_install to set a password for your root MySQL user.
- Edit the settings.py file to modify any other settings that you want to change, such as your SMTP server information, which we leave off by default.
- When you are ready to run DefectDojo, run the server with
All the DefectDojo settings and Django configurations in settings.py can be customized through the use of environment variables or a .env file.
Environment variables can be set from the os environment by setting the variable as follows:
export DD_DEBUG=on or environment settings can be specified in a file in the dojo/settings/ folder or specify a different environment by setting DD_ENV_PATH with the name of the env file you wish to use, dev.env for example.
DefectDojo Environment Variables¶
The following variables, at a minimum, must be set in order to start DefectDojo.
- A secret key for a particular Django installation. This is used to provide cryptographic signing, and should be set to a unique, unpredictable value.
- AES 256 key for encrypting sensitive data such as passwords in DefectDojo. Set to at least a 256-bit key and should be set to a unique, unpredictable value.
DefectDojo by default has debug set to off. If testing locally then set DD_DEBUG=on.
If debug is false then assets such as images will not served. If you want assets to be viewed then set DD_WHITENOISE=on.
WhiteNoise allows your web app to serve its own static files, making it a self-contained unit that can be deployed anywhere without relying on nginx, Amazon S3 or any other external service. (Especially useful on Heroku, OpenShift and other PaaS providers.)
- Hosts/domain names that are valid for this site; If DEBUG is False, default is localhost/127.0.0.1
Database connections are expressed as URL’s conforming to the 12factor approach
- MySQL: mysql://user:password@host:port/database
- MySQL example:
- PostgreSQL: postgres://, pgsql://, psql:// or postgresql://
- SQLITE: sqlite://
Sample env file
DEBUG=on DD_SECRET_KEY=your-secret-key DD_CREDENTIAL_AES_256_KEY=your-secret-aes-key DATABASE_URL=DD_DATABASE_URL=mysql://root:email@example.com:3306/dojodb
Complete DefectDojo Variables List
- If not in os.environ, to enable set DD_DEBUG=on Default: False
- Raises Django’s ImproperlyConfigured exception if SECRET_KEY not in os.environ Default: None, must be set by the user
- Local time zone for this installation. Choices can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_zones_by_name Default: UTC
- Language code for this installation. All choices can be found here: http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/language-identifiers.html Default: en-us
- The ID, as an integer, of the current site in the django_site database table. This is used so that application data can hook into specific sites and a single database can manage content for multiple sites. Default: 1
- If you set this to False, Django will make some optimizations so as not to load the internationalization machinery. Default: True
- If you set this to False, Django will not format dates, numbers and calendars according to the current locale. Default: True
- If you set this to False, Django will not use timezone-aware datetimes. Default: True
- The name of the class to use for starting the test suite. Default: django.test.runner.DiscoverRunner
- Database string expressed as a URL, refer to the documentation above for formatting. Default: Must be set by the user
- Track database migrations through source control rather than managing migrations locally. Default: False
- Absolute filesystem path to the directory that will hold user-uploaded files. Default: media
- URL that handles the media served from MEDIA_ROOT. Make sure to use a trailing slash. Default: /media/
- Absolute path to the directory static files should be collected to. Default: static
- URL prefix for static files. Default: /static/
- URL prefix to append, for example DefectDojo is installed in a subdirectory on the server Default: None
- If True, the SecurityMiddleware redirects all non-HTTPS requests to HTTPS Default: False
- If True, the SecurityMiddleware sets the X-XSS-Protection: 1; Default: False
- Whether to use HTTPOnly flag on the session cookie. Default: False
- Whether to use HttpOnly flag on the CSRF cookie. Default: True
- Whether to use a secure cookie for the CSRF cookie. Default: False
- Adds an HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO Default: False
- Path to WKHTMLTOPDF Default: /usr/local/bin/wkhtmltopdf
- Used in a few places to prefix page headings and in email salutations Default: None
- Tags that are used in for product, findings etc. and should the ability to force as lowercase. Default: True
- The maximum length of a tag Default: 25
- DefectDojo admins Default: DefectDojo:dojo@localhost,Admin:admin@localhost
- Django has a build in admin module (/admin), setting enables or disables this built in Django feature. Default: False
- WhiteNoise allows your web app to serve its own static files Default: False
- Celery broker Default: sqla+sqlite:///dojo.celerydb.sqlite
- Ignore celery result Default: True
- Default: db+sqlite:///dojo.celeryresults.sqlite
- Seconds to expiration Default:86400
- Beat filename Default: /dojo.celery.beat.db
- Options: ‘pickle’, ‘json’, ‘msgpack’ or ‘yaml’ Default: pickle